As we are now at Phase 2 of our MGS Covid-19 Response Management Plan, https://www.middleton.school.nz/wp-content/uploads/2022/02/MGS-COVID-19-Response-Plan-PC-1.pdf which will involve Hybrid Learning (mixture of at school and home based), the Senior Leadership Team have decided the following:
|ALL our Year 11 and Year 13 students will move to remote learning at home from Tuesday 8 March 2022 for at least 2 – 3 weeks.
During this time, we will be monitoring the situation closely in order to determine a possible return to school date for ALL Year 11 – 13 students.
This means ALL Year 11 – 13 students will now be remote learning at home from Tuesday 8 March 2022.
The reasons for this decision are:
- Year 11 and Year 13 absences are currently the highest across the school at approx. 35% of the cohort and growing daily and 40% of the cohort respectively. Many Year 11 and Year 13 classes have significantly reduced student numbers, some well in excess of 50%, making a hybrid model of curriculum delivery unsustainable.
- We need to provide some certainty and stability for students and staff to assist with planning.
- We are noticing further increased staffing absences, and fully expect this to grow, making the staffing of curriculum specialists to all face-to-face classes increasingly difficult.
- Year 11 and Year 13 students do not require parental supervision whilst remote learning from home.
PLEASE NOTE THE FOLLOWING IMPORTANT INFORMATION:
- Normal School timetable still operates even when working from home
- All other Year Levels (Primary and Middle School) will still be at school for on-site learning, unless sick or self-isolating.
- School work will be provided via TEAMS for ALL students who are isolating at home.
- Subject teachers will make a ‘live’ contact with each of their Year 11 and Year 13 classes once a week in a TEAMS Meeting in an ordinary timetabled period to be determined by the classroom teacher. There will be no live classes for any other year levels.
TEAMS meeting protocols that are expected of students have been shared with ALL Year 11 and Year 13 students, but please note the additional information below:
- Teachers will provide spiritual support via appropriate bible verses and prayer as needed.
- Year 11 and Year 13 Students are not expected to attend whānau groups while they are remote learning.
- Students should contact their subject teacher or their Dean asap if they are experiencing any difficulties with their learning. If students are having emotional / anxiety / stress difficulties, they are to discuss this with their parents. If they have further concerns, students should contact their Dean, HOS or School Counsellor.
NB: Y11 – Y13 students are still allowed on site at school for their Sport, Co-curricular and Cultural activities, unless sick.
IF YOU, OR A MEMBER OF YOUR HOUSEHOLD TEST POSITIVE FOR COVID-19,
PLEASE CONTINUE TO CONTACT MIDDLETON GRANGE SCHOOL ASAP AT:
Email email@example.com OR call 021 0858 4494
Thank you for your ongoing support and understanding during this challenging time.
1 I lift up my eyes to the mountains— where does my help come from?
2 My help comes from the Lord, the Maker of heaven and earth.
Nga mihi nui
Principal / Tumuaki